The Rotary Club of Longview has been preparing and feeding residents at the Community House On Broadway (CHOB) once a month for three years. A rotating cadre of four-five members from among 12+ volunteers plan a menu, donate the ingredients, assemble the products, oversee whatever needs cooking and finally serve the meals to the families residing at the agency for homeless families.
The agency’s mission states, “The CHOB is a clean and sober homeless recovery center that exists to help individuals & families in Cowlitz County become self-sufficient by providing:
- Temporary & transitional housing for homeless individuals & families.
- A safe, clean housing environment.
- Regular nourishing meals, emergency clothing & personal items.
- Professional case management (help developing & adhering to an action plan).
- A working conduit with existing physical, mental & spiritual support services within the community.
This monthly service activity is led by Dave Hill, chair of the club’s Community Service Committee. The same Committee also receives and evaluates applications from other not-for-profit organizations for worthy Civic projects that meet minimum requirements for funding out of the club’s community foundation annual budget.
The club collectively and Committee members individually receive great satisfaction and gratification from offering and providing these services.